Sunday, January 28, 2007

Hemingway Searches for Paradise

I just was on the phone discussing William Faulkner, Jane Austen, and Ernest Hemingway with my Sister. It gave me an appetite to read my next book, "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway. I was discussing with her how I feel like Hemingway follows me wherever I go. It's not that I think he is a "good" or "bad" writer, just that he happens to be wherever I go. Following in the footsteps of Hemingway is like following my life path. I am looking forward to my trip to Key West, and am hoping that I can go with a literary person and visit Hemingway's home. We shall see...anyone interested?

I'll never forget the thrill of returning from Paris one summer, sitting by the pool reading, "A Moveable Feast". As I was reading I instantly felt a closeness to Hemingway in realizing that I had just walked in his footsteps, taking the exact same walking paths, spending time in the exact same cafe's, thinking some of the same thoughts he had, as in the book, and during that time in his life 80 years earlier. It was exhilarating! So, ever since then, I've had a liking for Hemingway. Sexist, vulgar, and pigheaded as he might be, I can't help but relate to the places his passions led him.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home