Friday, July 13, 2007

Lost in Translation

I'm sitting in Starbucks using the Internet, and blogging to you. I want to talk to y'all about my frustrations lately with going to coffee shops and trying to use the Internet. I come in, sit down, start emailing, etc, and within minutes I have a new "friend" whom won't leave me alone. It happens all the time lately. I remember the day when I used to feel honored by attention from members of the opposite sex. I remember the days when I used to feed off of it. Those days are long gone now. When I am sitting in a coffee shop on my laptop - I do not want to be disturbed! And no matter how nicely I tell them, "I am busy". They just don't get it. Somehow, "I'm sorry! I'm busy, I'm working really hard on my resume right now and have no time to talk to anyone." Is translated in their head as: "So your telling me I've got a chance?" I see that look on their face as the translation is going on, and so I quickly reiterate what I think will clearly reveal my feelings to them, in a forceful voice, "No, really, I cannot have you disturbing me right now, I am seriously working hard here and have to have full concentration." Two seconds later they reply, "Oh well I'll just sit down for a minute, I won't bother you." !!!!!!!!!

So today I have taken away all the chairs at the table and made it so nobody can sit down next to me. So far it's working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home